Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Ann Coulter, you are a racist.

Since I started my internship at The Freeman, I've had the opportunity (ie: I was forced) to read through a couple of Ann Coulter's columns. Coulter's most recent column embraces US Airways for kicking six imams from a flight to Phoenix because witnesses said the imams were chanting "Allah, Allah, Allah" in the terminal before boarding.

I'll admit that if I was in that situation I'd be pretty freaked out. I'm not disagreeing with US Airways' suspicion. I am disagreeing, however, with their decision to bar the imams from their flight and, especially, with Coulter's blatently racist approach in her article.

"If only we could get Muslims to boycott all airlines, we could dispense with airport security altogether," says Coulter in the second sentence of her article. I had to do a double take when I first read that sentence. Just because Coulter is a good writer (I cannot deny that) does not mean that she has the write to print absurdly racist remarks such as this.

"One of the stunt-imams in US Airways' advertising scheme, Omar Shahin, complained about being removed from the plane, saying: 'Six scholars in handcuffs. It's terrible.'

Yes, especially when there was a whole conference of them! Six out of 150 is called "poor law enforcement." How did the other 144 "scholars" get off so easy?"

Wow. I'm really at a loss for words as to how to respond to such ignorance. Read the column here (http://www.anncoulter.com/cgi-local/welcome.cgi) and decide for yourself what to make of this pile of bigotry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home